What’s more impressive for your guests than being treated with yummy fragrant fried pineapple rice with vegan egg in a beautiful pineapple boat? Ever since I was served one like that in Singapore, I have been a big fan.
And I wanted to make one myself. It’s not that much of an effort to make actually! I mean, you have to cut the pineapple anyway, right, why not turn it into a nice bowl? There are a lot of youTube videos on how to make a pineapple boat, like this one here.
I have worked on a pineapple rice with vegan egg I really like for quite a while, and I am very happy with this one. Hope you’ll like it just as much.
An important ingredient here is Kala Namak, a black salt from India and Pakistan. It often looks pinkish and smells sulphuric. That’s what adds the eggy aroma to vegan egg dishes. It is available in Asian specialty stores, organic supermarkets and shops that sell vegan supplies. Of course, it is also available here*.
The rice should really have cooled well, best over night, that makes it much easier to process. And also that way it had time to form resistant starch which feeds our good gut bacteria 🙂
If you want to cut the carrot into pretty flowers, you can see how to do it in my Instagram Reel here, or in my youTube video on how to make any food look its best along with lots of other tips.
PINEAPPLE RICE WITH VEGAN EGG
- 50 g (1 cup) chickpea flour
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) water
- 1/4 teaspoon Kala Namak*
- 1 pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 carrot
- 1 purple onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- some chili
- cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons peas
- 1 tablespoon cranberries or raisins
- 450 g (2,5 cups) cooked and cooled rice was 1 cup/ 200 g uncooked
- red cabbage
- cilantro leaves
- Combine the chickpea flour with the water and kala namak and stir well.
- Pour a little plant oil into a skillet at high to moderate heat, pour in the mixture, let it sit for about two minutes, then scramble it up like you would an egg. Let it firm up for another couple of minutes until it looks like a scrambled egg, then put into a bowl and set aside.
- Now put the pineapple chunks into the skillet with the coconut sugar and let them caramelise for a few minutes at high to moderate heat.
- Move the pineapple chunks to the sides, put a little plant oil in the middle and add the carrots.
- Roast for 2 minutes at moderate heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chili and the cilantro stems and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Now add 2 tablespoons cashews, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons peas and 1 tablespoon cranberries or raisins and stir-fry a little, then add the cooked and cooled rice and “egg” and stir-fry a little more.
- Add the red cabbage, stir well and serve in the pineapple boat topped with cilantro leaves.
You might also like
This easy, quick vegan recipe for spaghetti with lentil bolognese are one of the…14. July 2021
I first noticed lemongrass at vegan restaurant MyThai in Boston and I was blown…11. May 2021
Whenever I cook rice, I make twice the amount, because the leftover rice is…4. April 2021