My super aromatic quick easy healthy lime rice with smoked tofu is on our table at least once a week I usually make twice the amount of rice when I cook rice for dishes like my tahini veggies or my butternut apricot curry, so we can have a delicious fried rice the next day.
Careful: You always want to put leftover rice in the fridge asap, otherwise a bacteria called bacillus cereus can become a problem. When using the leftover rice, you want to make sure it’s thoroughly heated.
Why is lime rice with smoked tofu healthy?
- Cooked and cooled rice contains resistant starch, which feeds our good gut bacteria. It also contains complex carbohydrates that keep us full for longer and many B vitamins.
- Onions are packed with nutrients and are considered a natural antibiotic. They also contain prebiotic substances that our good gut bacteria love.
- Limes contain potassium, calcium, vitamin C, and other important nutrients.
- Carrots are rich in provitamin A and many other nutrients. They also contain soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which our gut needs.
- Tofu is considered a easily digestible source of protein and contains many minerals.
- Cranberries can do a lot. They help, for example, the important gut bacterium Akkermansia Municiphila to multiply, and can even keep the Helicobacter Pylori in check! If only I had eaten more cranberries when I caught that bug in India…
- Coriander, like all herbs, contains essential oils that support digestion. It also has detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties.
LIME RICE WITH SMOKED TOFU
- 1 smoked tofu, cubed
- 2 carrots, diced
- juice and peel of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- coriander stems, chopped
- about 500 g cooked and cooled rice (2,5 cups) was about 1 cup/ 200 g uncooked
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- First, gather all your ingredients and prepare them in the right amounts. That makes it so much easier and more fun and you're less likely to forget anything.
- Heat plant oil in a big pan and cook the tofu for a few minutes. Then add the carrots.
- Make the sauce: combine grated lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, maple sirup and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion, cranberries and coriander stems to the pan and stir, then add the rice and the sauce mix.
- Now stir-fry for a few minutes and serve with fried shallots, coriander leaves and lime wedges.