I first noticed lemongrass in a stir-fry at vegan restaurant MyThai in Boston and I was blown away by the wonderful zesty, citrusy, aromatic fragrance of the lovely lemongrass noodles I ate there. Back home I started working on my own version of this delicious comfort food right away, combining lemongrass with ginger, lime and maple syrup.
Now I love my simple recipe. This works as an easy weeknight meal or a nice side dish, and the lemongrass noodles taste great hot or cold.
What is lemongrass?
The thin long green stalks we know from the Southeast Asian Cuisine contain essential oils that are said to have a lot of health benefits. You can buy them in Asian grocery stores and bigger supermarkets.
You can add the whole stalk to curries or soups and take them out before the meal, or you can peel and chop it, which is what we do for this noodle dish. I remove the root, the green part and the tough outer leaves, then slice the bulb into very fine rings and chop them up even more.
What can I add to the lemongrass noodles?
- more vegetables
- smoked tofu
- vegan “egg” as I use it for my pineapple rice
- meat substitutes
What goes well with the lemongrass noodles?
- 2-3 stalks lemongrass
- 250 g (9 oz.) noodles
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch of chili flakes optional
- 1-2 carrots sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 piece of ginger chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/3 cup red or white cabbage finely chopped, optional
- cilantro chopped
- 1-2 limes cut in halves or quarters
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- Cut lemongrass: cut off root, green part and hard outer leaves. Chop up the white part with the purple rings.
- Cook noodles according to instructions.
- Combine maple syrup and soy sauce and optional chili.
- Sauté carrot slices in a little plant oil at high to medium heat, then add lemongrass, ginger and onion. Then add garlic.
- Mix sauce with drained noodles and add to the pan. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Serve with optional cabbage, lime wedges, cilantro and fried shallots.
you might also like
This easy bami goreng style noodle recipe is ready in minutes and great as…19. January 2023
My super aromatic quick easy healthy lime rice with smoked tofu is on our…8. August 2022
This Italian inspired pasta salad recipe was due for an update. It got new…16. April 2022