These tahini veggies are a quick meal I created by chance, when on a Sunday evening I just threw a couple of things I found in the fridge without great expectations. It was soooo good!
Some of you might know the sauce from my sesame noodles, and as a warm rice dish it works just as well. Now we’re having this at least once a week, and every time we are impressed how tasty this simple combination is.
- 1 cup/ 180 g of uncooked basmati rice
- 3 cups/ 200 g broccoli cut into florets
- 1 carrot cut into slices or flowers
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- cilantro or parsley
- fried shallots and black sesame seeds for garnishing
- First, gather all your ingredients and prepare them in the right amounts. That makes it so much easier and more fun and you're less likely to forget anything.
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Steam broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Sauté onions, garlic and ginger at moderate heat in a pan. If you don’t have a steaming basket, you can also just put the broccoli and carrots into the pan and sauté them.
- Stir soy sauce, tahini and maple syrup with 1 tablespoon of water into a creamy sauce.
- Add the veggies and the sauce to the pan, stir, and serve immediately with the rice. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and fried shallots and black sesame.