Whenever I cook rice, I make twice the amount, because the leftover rice is the perfect basis for the next meal. Also, cooled rice has built resistant starch which feeds our good gut bacteria.
Sometimes I make my pineapple rice with vegan egg, but mostly we’re just having this tasty tomato rice from the skillet, as tomatoes and beans are things we always have on hand, that’s a perfect side dish.
How to turn this tomato rice into a main course
- sliced veggie sausages
- vegan sour cream
- I really like to sprinkle the fruity-spicy Turkish paprika based seasoning Pul Biber over this dish, it fits very well. But don’t worry if you don’t have it, the rice is also great without it.
This way you easily create a Mexican inspired fusion bowl.
I like black beans best, but any other beans work well for this tomato rice.
The tomato rice also works well as a filling for burritos or wraps. You can find my recipe for good homemade wraps here.
TOMATO BLACK BEAN RICE
- 1-2 veggie sausages sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 2,5 cups/ about 450 g cooked and cooled rice was about 1 cup/ 200 g uncooked
- 1 can of black beans
- pepper, chili, salt
- avocado and vegan sour cream
- Pul Biber optional
- Roast veggie sausage, onion and garlic in plant oil for about two minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes and spices and stir well, add veggie broth.
- Add rice and beans and roast for about 5-10 minutes, keep stirring.
- Add salt, pepper and chili to taste and serve with cilantro, lime, avocado, vegan sour cream and optional Pul Biber.
you might also like
This easy, quick vegan recipe for spaghetti with lentil bolognese are one of the…14. July 2021
These vegan quick and easy noodle dishes are crowd-pleasers that take less than 25…9. June 2021
I first noticed lemongrass at vegan restaurant MyThai in Boston and I was blown…11. May 2021