Making wraps yourself is easy, and homemade wraps taste so much better than store-bought ones, believe me.
I like my wraps soft and fluffy and thick, almost like big pitas. But of course you decide how thick or think, small or big you want to roll out your wrap dough. These simple flour tortillas can also be used for burritos, soft tacos and fajitas. I like to use spelt flour for my recipe, but wheat works just as well.
What do you fill homemade wraps with?
My favourite fillings are
- sweet potato, black beans and veggie mince with apricot mustard sauce
- sweet potato, sour cream, rocket salad and veggie scramble.
- butternut apricot curry
The homemade wraps taste amazing when they’re fresh, but you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days and just warm them up in the dry skillet. And of course you can freeze them to always have a quick snack at hand. My delicious tortillas are perfect to use up leftovers in the fridge.
- 42 g fresh yeast or 2 teaspoons of dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 350 ml warm water 1 1/2 cups
- 700 g flour 5 cups
- 60 ml olive oil 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Knead with flour, olive oil and salt for several minutes, until you have a soft dough. Adjust the flour/ water ratio a little, if the dough is too dry or sticky.
- Put a little olive oil in a bowl and on your hands, then put the dough in the bowl, cover it with a tea towel and let it rise for at least one hour. The dough should double in that time.
- Then knead the dough again on a well-floured surface and divide in 10 parts, roll the into balls and let them rest under the tea towel for another 20 minutes.
- Now roll them into circles the size of your skillet and roast them in the hot skillet with a little olive oil for about 2 minutes from both sides.
You might also like
There is a lot of discussing in Germany whether potato salad should be made…1. May 2022
Collaboration with Sunday Natural You probably know vegan superfood truffles in similar form as…6. February 2022
You can easily make crispy smoked paprika wedges with a delicious Mexican inspired spice…26. January 2022