No, I didn’t have this Mexican fusion pumpkin soup in Mexico. I had chips. Almost pink with paprika and dripping with fresh lime juice that was squeezed over them right before my eyes. They were fantastic. The best crisps I had in my life, bought from a Mexican grandma in a sunny park in Mexico City between palmtrees and cacti, and I celebrated every bite.
This fabulous combination came to mind when I wanted to pimp my pumpkin soup the other day and saw the smoked tofu and lime in the fridge. I could pair that with smoked paprika, I thought and it became a hit.
Now we have this pumpkin soup every other day. With its onions, garlic, ginger, lime, cilantro, pepper and chili, it is the perfect weapon against the sniffling that comes with the Berlin winter.
The pumpkin soup can be made with
- Hokkaido pumpkin
- butternut squash
- sweet potatoes
- even carrots and normal potatoes
MEXICAN FUSION PUMPKIN SOUP
- about 2 cups of pumpkin or sweet potato cubed
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- pinch of chili
- 1/2 -1 lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cups veggie broth 470 ml
- some plant cream or vegan sour cream
- 100 g smoked tofu 3,5 oz
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- cilantro or parsley
- yummy bread
- In a big pot with a little plant oil, roast onions, garlic, chili and ginger. Add the pumpkin. Stir well, and add the veggie broth.
- Then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime roast the smoked tofu in a skillet, add the smoked paprika and roast at medium heat.
- Puree the soup with a blender.
- Now add maple syrup and lime. When making the soup for the first time, I would only add half a lime because it might be too sour for some.
- Now serve the Mexican fusion soup with a little plant cream, add the tofu and the cilantro or parsley and some pepper.
You might also like
Cooperation with Sunday Natural These delicious crunchy sweet and salty almond buckwheat granola clusters…24. September 2022
Za’atar is a West Asian spice mixture and there are regional variations. I have a…20. September 2022
My super aromatic quick easy healthy lime rice with smoked tofu is on our…20. August 2022