No, I didn’t have this Mexican fusion pumpkin soup in Mexico. I had chips. Almost pink with paprika and dripping with fresh lime juice that was squeezed over them right before my eyes. They were fantastic. The best crisps I had in my life, bought from a Mexican grandma in a sunny park in Mexico City between palmtrees and cacti, and I celebrated every bite.
This fabulous combination came to mind when I wanted to pimp my pumpkin soup the other day and saw the smoked tofu and lime in the fridge. I could pair that with smoked paprika, I thought and it became a hit.
Now we have this pumpkin soup every other day. With its onions, garlic, ginger, lime, cilantro, pepper and chili, it is the perfect weapon against the sniffling that comes with the Berlin winter.
The pumpkin soup can be made with
- Hokkaido pumpkin
- butternut squash
- sweet potatoes
- carrots and normal potatoes
MEXICAN FUSION PUMPKIN SOUP
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 300 g pumpkin or sweet potato, cubed about 2 cups
- 500 ml veggie broth 2 cups
- 1 smoked tofu, cubed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch of chili optional
- some plant cream or vegan sour cream
- cilantro or parsley
- First, gather all your ingredients and prepare them in the right amounts. That makes it so much easier and more fun and you're less likely to forget anything 🙂
- Sauté onions and ginger in a little plant oil in a medium sized saucepan that has a lid. If you're going to use a stick blender, it's best to use a tall one. Add garlic, then the cubed pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Stir well, and add the veggie broth.
- Then simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid slightly open. Stir from time to time.
- In the meantime sauté the cubed smoked tofu in a skillet, add the smoked paprika and turn the heat down to medium.
- Puree the soup with a stick blender or pour the soup into a blender and then back into the saucepan after blending.
- Now add maple syrup and lime to the soup. When making the soup for the first time, I would only add half a lime because it might be too sour for some. Taste and add some chili powder or flakes if you like it spicier.
- Now serve the Mexican fusion soup with a little plant cream, add the tofu in the middle and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
If you the flavour of this soup, you might also like my smoked paprika wedges. You might also be interested in my Mexico City Food Tour.
You might also like
EASTER LAMB CAKE
What would an Easter brunch be without a sweet vegan Easter lamb cake? This…18. March 2023
My delicious vegan Baileys style Irish liqueur is easily and quickly made at home.…8. March 2023
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
Here is a new version of my delicious spicy peanut sauce recipe. It’s now…7. March 2023