Za’atar is a West Asian spice mixture and there are regional variations. I have a Za’atar made of sesame, sumach oregano and thyme.
I enjoyed an amazing Za’atar focaccia in Tel Aviv once and with all these beautiful pumpkins now that made a great combination. It’s actually my new favourite food!
HOKKAIDO ZA’ATAR FOCACCIA
- about 1/2 small Hokkaido pumpkin
- 3 cups flour 360 g
- 1 sachet of dry yeast about two teaspoons
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water 160 ml
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 small onions
- 1 tablespoon Za'atar*
- some thyme twigs
- more salt and olive oil
- Wash and open pumpkin. You only need about half of it. Cut thin slices off the sides for decoration.
- Chop up the rest, that works best in a mini food processor. It should make about 1 cup. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also boil the pumpkin until soft and mashable.
- Combine flour and dry yeast in a bowl, then add chopped or mashed pumpkin, salt, olive oil and water. Knead for 10 minutes into a slightly sticky dough.
- Pour some olive oil into a big bowl and on your hands to avoid the dough from sticking too much and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it rise for about one hour in a warm place, for example the warm oven. Around 30°C/ 85°F is a good temperature.
- After one hour, the dough should have doubled. Punch it to remove the air, then knead again with oiled hands and form one big focaccia.
- Spread it on parchment paper and pour some olive oil over it.
- Then poke holes into the focaccia with the bigger side of a chopstick or your fingers to create pools for the oil and the spices.
- Add pumpkin slices and onions, brush a little olive oil on them if you like. Then add thyme twigs, a little more salt and the za’atar.
- Now let it rest another 20 minutes and preheat your oven in the meantime to 210°C/ 410°F.
- Then bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once it’s ready, sprinkle with a little more olive oil and cut into pieces, I find it easiest with a pizza cutter.
You might also like
This quick and easy recipe for my amazing little pretzel pain au chocolat happened…19. July 2021
This easy, quick vegan recipe for spaghetti with lentil bolognese are one of the…14. July 2021
Whenever I’m hosting a brunch at my house, I serve a cold vegan brunch…19. June 2021