You can easily make crispy smoked paprika wedges with a delicious Mexican inspired spice mixture yourself in the oven with this recipe.
How to make really crispy wedges
Wash the potatoes, dry them well and cut them lengthwise into halves, then into quarters and then into eights. There is no need to remove the peel. Mix them with the spice mixture, then bake them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. It’s important not to crowd the potato wedges, the should touch as little as possible for maximum crispness.
The second secret for really crispy wedges is polenta. The gluten free corn semolina sticks to the wedges and makes them crunchy. Alternatively you can use breadcrumbs or panko.
The spice mixture for the smoked paprika wedges
My spice mixture is Mexican inspired with smoked paprika powder (also known as Pimenton de la vera), cumin, lime juice and fresh cilantro. Add a little chili if you like it spicy.
The lime is squeezed over the potatoes right after baking. Serve immediately, because when the potatoes cool off, the become less crispy.
What sauces go well with the smoked paprika wedges?
I love to serve them with vegan mayonnaise. I could also imagine vegan sour cream or ketchup, BBQ-sauce or my apricot mustard sauce or my spicy peanut sauce with the wedges.
SMOKED PAPRIKA WEDGES
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon polenta corn semolina
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- vegan mayo optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 394° F.
- Now, gather all your ingredients and prepare them in the right amounts. That makes it so much easier and more fun and you're less likely to forget anything.
- Wash and dry potatoes and cut into eights.
- Combine olive oil, maple syrup, smoked paprika powder, cumin, polenta and salt and add to the potatoes. Then mix everything well, so the potatoes are nicely coated.
- Spread the potatoes separately on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 50 minutes, turn after 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lime juice and more coarse salt and serve with cilantro and vegan mayo.
If you love crispy oven potatoes, you might want to have a look at my pink smashed potatoes.