There are many ways of veganizing this sandwich classic, and there are lots of bacon replacements to choose from, when you want to make a BLT sandwich.
My favourite bacon replacement is tofu bacon. Especially smoked tofu becomes very crispy when you fry it in thin slices, and very hearty when coated in a sauce made of maple syrup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, onion and garlic powder and smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is also known as pimenton de la vera. In case this spice is not available, regular paprika powder will do, and you can add a little liquid smoke if you like it smoky.
After frying, I let the tofu bacon dry for a moment so it can crisp up.
What else do you need for the vegan BLT sandwich?
Also there’s of course lettuce and tomatoes on a fresh bread roll or baguette, some toast or a nice spelt bagel with hemp seeds.
Vegan mayo should meanwhile be available in many shops, if not, you can always make it yourself. There are many recipes online, I like this one by Vegan Heaven very much.
As a side, I really like to serve my smoked paprika wedges.
- 1/2 smoked tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices bread or two bread rolls
- vegan mayo
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 big tomato
- cucumber slices
- salt and pepper
- Cut the smoked tofu into thin slices of about 3-5 mm. The thinner, the better.
- Heat some plant oil in a big pan.
- Fry the slices at medium to high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Combine maple syrup, soy sauce, rice vinegar and spices into a thick sauce.
- Turn the slices and apply the sauce. I find it easiest with a brush. Turn the heat to medium and fry for another five minutes.
- In the meantime you can toast the bread and cut the tomatoes and cucumber.
- Spread vegan mayo on the bread and layer the lettuce leaves, the tomato, the smoked tofu and the cucumber slices, add salt and pepper and serve.
Do you love sandwiches? Check out my blogpost on 10 ideas for your new favourite vegan sandwiches.
you might also like
Cooperation with Sunday Natural These delicious crunchy sweet and salty almond buckwheat granola clusters…24. September 2022
Za’atar is a West Asian spice mixture and there are regional variations. I have a…20. September 2022
My super aromatic quick easy healthy lime rice with smoked tofu is on our…20. August 2022