There is a lot of discussing in Germany whether potato salad should be made with or without mayonnaise. At our work canteen in Munich, they are serving both options in order to prevent kerfuffle I guess. I like them both, but as the mayo at work is not vegan, I only ever get the other one.
It only consists of potatoes, onions and gherkins, nicely marinated in a tasty dressing.
The potato salad is really delicious, and that’s why I based my healthy vegan new recipe on it. I added apples, radishes, pumpkin seed oil, lentils, celery and lots of parsley.
POTATO SALAD WITH APPLES
- 500 g potatoes 3,5 cups
- 1 red onion
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 gherkins
- 1 big red apple
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 radishes
- 1/2 can brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth powder
- 2 tablespoons gherkin water
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch of parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut potatoes in thick slices and boil for 10 minutes in salted water. Then set aside to cool off.
- Chop onion, mix with apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Cut gherkins, apple, celery and radishes and combine in a big bowl with lentils and potatoes.
- Mix veggie broth powder, gherkin water, pumpkin seed oil, mustard, salt and the onion vinegar mixture and pour over the salad. Mix well.
- Add chopped parsley and black pepper.
- Put in fridge for at least 5 hours and stir at least once.
This potato salad is perfect for picnics, potlucks, barbecues, as a takeout lunch or on a cold buffet, especially when you also have guests that eat gluten free.