This sweet potato focaccia started with a tasty bread I ate in Tel Aviv at the beach. When I wanted to make something like that at home, I ended up adding some more ingredients and now it’s perfect! I added:
- chia seeds for extra crunch and extra omega-3
- spelt flour, but of course you can use wheat as well. You might have to adjust the flour-water-ratio
- the Indian spice ajwain* that I think goes very well with a lot of Mediterranean dishes
- sweet potato cherry blossoms
- fresh rosemary
- pink pepper
If you love focaccia you might also enjoy my Hokkaido Za’atar Focaccia.
PINK PEPPER & SWEET POTATO FOCACCIA
- 3 cups flour 360 g
- 1 sachet of dry yeast two teaspoons
- 1 cup lukewarm water 240 ml
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil 60 ml
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ajwain
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- more olive oil
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pink pepper
- more sea salt
- more olive oil
- Combine flour and dry yeast in a bowl with water, oil, chia seeds, salt, ajwain and maple syrup. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Pour a little olive oil into a big bowl and over your hands to avoid the dough from sticking and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it rise for about one hour in a warm place, for example the warm oven. Around 30°C/ 85°F is a good temperature.
- Slice the sweet potato and cut out blossoms with a cookie cutter.
- After one hour, the dough should have doubled. Punch it to remove the air, then knead again with oiled hands and form a focaccia.
- Spread it on parchment paper. Pour more olive oil over the focaccia and poke holes with your fingers to create pools for the oil and the spices. Add the sweet potato decoration, rosemary and sea salt.
- Let it rest another 20 minutes and preheat your oven in the meantime to 210°C/ 410°F.
- Then bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Crush the pink pepper with a mortar.
- Once it's ready, sprinkle with a little more olive oil and pink pepper and cut into pieces, I find it easiest with a pizza cutter.
- I like my focaccia best fresh from the oven or the next morning for breakfast roasted in a skillet.
You might also like
Collaboration with Sunday Natural Summer is coming and I have created a tasty creamy…14. May 2022
Collaboration with Hanfgeflüster Have you tried CBD oil yet? Otherwise you’ve probably heard of…7. May 2022
There is a lot of discussing in Germany whether potato salad should be made…1. May 2022