My favourite donut at Brammibal’s, the vegan donut chain, one of my favourite all-vegan places here in Berlin, was the coconut maple bacon one. They discontinued it, and while they have so many yummy vegan donuts to choose from, I kinda missed it little. So I wanted to make my own and decided for coconut maple bacon muffins instead.
I came across a really nice and easy coconut bacon recipe that fits well into the workflow of my recipe on one of my favourite blogs, Jessica in the kitchen. If you don’t know Jessica yet, you want to have a look at her broad range of easy and tasty vegan recipes. Everything I tried turned out great. The coconut curry recipe I already know by heart.
But first, you have to try my coconut maple bacon muffins of course!
What’s the best way of serving the coconut maple bacon muffins?
The sweet fluffy muffins are best enjoyed fresh, because the coconut bacon tends to become a bit stale when the muffins have been sitting all day or over night. When I want to serve them at a later point, I keep the coconut bacon in an airtight container and also keep a little of the frosting, then assemble them before serving.
Also, you can just remove the stale coconut bacon and replace it. The recipe makes enough coconut bacon, and in an airtight container in the fridge it stays crispy for days. You just have to make sure you don’t gobble it all up right away like me.
By the way, these pictures were also my final project for the amazing food photography class with Kimberly Espinel I took this summer. I wanted to make the best out of being furloughed and went all in. And now I’m starting to take the pictures I want to take. Hope you like my new style as much as I do 🙂 You’ll find out more about Kimberly’a course here*. You’ll get 15% off the course at checkout with my code nin50.
Btw, you can find these beautiful scales here.
COCONUT MAPLE BACON MUFFINS
- 1 and 3/4 cups flour 200g
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar 75g
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coconut milk 240ml
- 1/3 cup plant oil 80ml
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid Smoke*
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 70g
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 375° Fahrenheit, but put a baking sheet aside. You’ll need that for the coconut bacon.
- Now, gather all your ingredients and prepare them in the right amounts. That makes it so much easier and more fun and you're less likely to forget anything.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and vanilla well and mix cup of coconut milk, plant oil and apple cider vinegar well. Then pour together and combine quickly.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 liners and distribute the dough evenly. The muffin liners should only be about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine the coconut flakes with soy sauce, maple syrup and liquid smoke, then spread them out on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Stir powdered sugar with tablespoon of coconut milk into a frosting.
- After 20 minutes of muffin baking time, open the oven and put the sheet with the coconut flakes in too.
- After the remaining 5 minutes, turn off the oven, take the muffins out and check on the coconut bacon. It might need another minute or two in the warm oven, but keep an eye on it, it burns easily.
- Then let muffins and coconut bacon cool off.
- Right before serving, apply frosting and coconut bacon to the muffins and dust them with powdered sugar.